How to kill junk food cravings I

November 9, 2009 by  
Filed under Featured, Health Articles

Quattro-590pixelsMost of our clients do not eat 100% purely – they usually are 80% healthy, and the other 20% comprises of things they just can’t give up yet. Although moderation is a virtue, when that 20% consists of junk foods, it can result in a rough struggle.

I’ve definitely been in these trenches before, and it took me years to finally climb out. Here’s how I was able to eliminate junk food cravings for good.

The top causes

1.    Nutritional deficiencies
2.    Unresolved emotional issues
3.    Being unaware of the real damage that junk food can do

The solutions

1.    Organic green smoothies and juices
2.    Solving emotional issues
3.    Learning the specific scientific details about what junk food does to your cells

This week, we’ll focus on #1: nutrient deficiencies.

Nutritional Deficiencies

We always stress to clients that caving in to junk food is not necessarily a willpower failure. In fact, that’s the least likely reason why you are reaching for that item.

It’s much more likely to be a result of a nutritional deficiency (Sources: Gillian McKeith RHN; Dr Russell Martino, PhD). That’s part of the reason why obese individuals report an inability to stop eating: their bodies are literally malnourished from a nutrient standpoint, and are putting out constant signals for them to find nourishment.

The quickest & easiest way to fill up on nutrients

Guzzle down juices or shakes with organic dark leafy greens as the main ingredient:

-    kale
-    collard
-    swiss chard
-    spinach
-    dark romaine leaves
-    bok choy
-    arugula
-    watercress leaves
-    carrot greens (the tops that we usually cut off – keep it!)
-    beet greens (the tops)
-    turnip greens (the tops)
-    dandelion
-    purslane

Mix in low-sugar foods to dilute the bitter taste of the greens:

-    cucumbers
-    lemons or limes
-    avocadoes
-    celery
-    green apples
-    stevia

Make sure that the foods you mix in are low in sugar: the juice of oranges, carrots, beets, and other higher-sugar items would spike your insulin and could lead to more sugar cravings later on.

Aim to drink 1 to 2 litres of green liquid (smoothies or juices) every day – that means 1 to 2 bunches of greens. Consider this drink to be medicine – just down it. It’ll get better as time goes on.

It is of critical importance to always rotate the type of greens you consume, so that you are getting a full spectrum of nutrients.

This worked for me every single time I fell off the wagon. When I skip this routine for a few days, I feel cravings starting to creep back.

Other foods that help to kill cravings include wheatgrass shots and sprouts. These are both loaded with vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and amino acids. If you’re serious about killing cravings, aim for 3 to 6 wheatgrass shots per day, or ¼ lb to ½ lb of sprouts in salads, shakes, or juices.

What if I can’t afford a juicer?

Juice bars usually have some form of leafy greens that you can juice for about $5 for 1 litre. Some staff members will actually let you bring your own greens and juice them for you.

Try this for a couple days and you’ll really understand why “eating healthy requires willpower” is quite a myth: it’s amazing how you will not even feel any urge to eat pizza, doughnuts, or freshly baked bread when your blood is nutrient-rich.

Next week, we’ll tackle the other top causes of junk food cravings.

Google Adsense

Group benefits Ontario

Health insurance Ontario

Employee benefit plans Ontario

Group benefits broker Toronto

Best Mortgage Rates Canada

5 year variable mortgage rates

Mortgage Brokers Ontario

Comments

4 Comments on "How to kill junk food cravings I"

  1. Evelyn on Sat, 14th Nov 2009 5:55 pm 

    This is great information. I have recently started drinking fresh juice twice a day along with green smoothies. This has really helped my with cravings.

  2. How to kill junk food cravings: Part 2 : House of Verona on Wed, 18th Nov 2009 11:33 am 

    [...] week, we discussed how getting enough nutrients can help eliminate cravings. This week, we’ll examine the relationship between unresolved emotional issues and [...]

  3. How to Stay Healthy at Work I : House of Verona on Wed, 15th Sep 2010 12:35 pm 

    [...] likely happen is that the greens will eliminate cravings and get you eating something healthier (find out how greens kill cravings here). Situation 4: You have no time to work [...]

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!





Switch to our mobile site